Yield: 6 servings
Time: 30 min Preparation; 25-35 min cooking
Difficulty Level: Moderate
- 9" pie shell (prebought, frozen, or freshly made in advance)
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1/2 C creme fraiche, heavy cream, or half & half
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- pinch of freshly grated or ground netmeg
- 1/2 red onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- olive oil
- 2/3 cup broccoli florets
- 3/4 cup gruyere cheese
NOTE: You can use other fillings and cheeses as you desire! Experiment!
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Saute 1/2 red onion and garlic in olive oil until soft.
- Blanch & drain broccoli florets.
- Beat together: eggs, cream, salt, pepper, nutmeg
- Spread onions, broccoli, and cheese on the bottom of the pie
- Add egg/cream mixture
- Bake until filling is browned and set, 25 - 35 minutes.
- This recipe is from the Joy of Cooking, page 140.