and Tomato Pie
(from Parenting Magazine, April 2002)
Yield: 6 servings
Time: 1 hr, 20 in
Difficulty Level: Easy
- 1 Tbs olive oil
- 2 medium onions, very thinly sliced
- Salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tsp dried thyme or 1 Tbs fresh, chopped
- 1 premade 8-inch pie crust
- 1 large ripe tomato, cut into 8 slices
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup light or heavy cream
- 1 cup low-fat sour cream
- 1 cup grated cheese, such as cheddar or mozzarella
- Preheat oven to 400 deg F.
- In large skillet, heat oil over moderate heat. Cook onions for
10 minutes, stirring frequently. Add salt & pepper and thyme;
remove from heat.
- Spread onions over the pie crust. Top with tomato slices.
- Whisk egg, cream, sour cream, and cheese. Pour over pie crust.
Bake for 1 hour.
- The pie is ready when it's golden brown and puffed and a toothpick
inserted in the center comes out clean.