(from "Classic Home Cooking, by Berry and Spieler)
Time: about 60 minutes
Difficulty Level: Moderate
- 3lb Eggplant
- salt & pepper
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2-3 Tbl olive oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1 Lbs, 7 oz canned chopped tomatoes, drained
- 1/2 cup tomato paste
- 1 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 Tbl chopped fresh basil
- 1/4 tsp sugar
- 10-12 oz mozzarella cheese, sliced
- 1 1/3 C grated parmesan cheese
- Cooked pasta
NOTE: We prefer to use premade sauce instead of making this sauce.
- Cut the eggplant into 1/2 inch slices. Place in a colander,
sprinkle with salt, and leave to stand for 30 minutes. Rinse the
slices and pat dry with paper towels.
- Dip the eggplant into the beaten eggs, then into the flour,
shaking off any excess.
- Heat 1 Tbl of the oil in a large skillet, add the eggplant slices
in batches and cook for 3-4 minutes on each side, until golden,
adding more oil between batches if necessary. Lift out with a
slotted spoon and drain on paper towels
- Heat 1 Tbl oil in a saucepan, add the onions, and cook gently
until soft, but not browned. Stir in the tomatoes, tomato paste,
garlic, and basil. Bring to a boil, then simmer for 10-15 minutes.
Add sugar and salt and pepper to taste.
- Spoon some of the tomato mixture into a shallow ovenproof dish
and cover with a layer of eggplant slices, then a layer each of
mozzarella and Parmesan. Continue layering, finishing with tomato
mixture, mozzarella, and Parmesan.
- Bake in a 375 deg oven for 15-20 minutes, until the cheese is
- Serve over or with pasta..